- 1 cup ( 250 mL) split red lentils
- 2½ cups (625 mL) water
- ½ medium onion, chopped finely
- 1½ teaspoon (7.5 ml) salt
- ½ cup ( 125 mL) quick-cooking oats
- ¾ teaspoon (3.75 mL) cretons spices or 4 spices mix + 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
Rinse the lentils well and transfer to a large saucepan.
Add water, onion and salt, and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer on low heat, uncovered, for about 40 min., stirring occasionally.
Stir in oats and spices, and continue cooking at very low heat for about 5 min.
Pour mixture into a container and let cool at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate.
Creton spices usually include white pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. Read the creton spice mix label to make sure the package contains only those spices. If you can’t find creton spices, use 1 tsp. (5 ml) ground allspice with 1/8 tsp. (0.5 ml) ground ginger.
Cretons will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.